Kansas law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved wearable PFD for each person on board and one PFD for every person being towed.
- Vessels 16 feet or longer, except canoes and kayaks, also must carry one USCG–approved throwable device.
- Persons 12 years of age or younger must wear a USCG–approved wearable PFD while on board or being towed by a vessel. A life belt or ring will not satisfy the requirement.
- A PWC may not be operated unless each person on board is wearing a USCG–approved wearable PFD.
- Sailboarders are not required to wear a PFD, but it is recommended.
- Inflatable PFDs are not recommended for non-swimmers or anyone under the age of 16.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.