Vessel operators may not hear sound signals or voices if the engine is not adequately muffled.
- The exhaust of every internal combustion engine of any vessel operated on Kansas waters must be equipped with a muffler system that effectively muffles the noise of the exhaust. The muffler system may be an exhaust water manifold or a factory-type muffler installed on the engine.
- The muffler system must be in good working order, in constant operation, and installed in such a way that it prevents any excessive or unusual noise.
- Excessive noise is illegal. Specifically, it is illegal to:
- Remove, alter, or modify a muffler system.
- Operate or give permission to operate any vessel if it is equipped with an altered muffler, a muffler cutout, a muffler bypass, or any other device that increases noise.
- Exceed a sound level of 92 decibels on the A weighted scale, when measured from a distance of 50 feet or more from the vessel’s engine.