These requirements apply to persons operating a vessel in Kansas.
- The minimum age for operating a vessel in Kansas is 12. No one under the age of 12 may operate a motorboat or PWC on Kansas public waters unless accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or person over the age of 17.
- Any person born on or after January 1, 1989, and less than 21 years of age, must complete an approved boater safety education course in order to operate a motorboat, PWC, or sailboat on Kansas public waters unless accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a person over the age of 17. The supervising person must:
- Possess a certificate of completion of an approved boater safety education course or…
- Be born before January 1, 1989.
- It is illegal for the owner or person in possession of a vessel to allow a person who does not meet the age and boater safety education requirements to operate the vessel.