Careless and Reckless Operation
Vermont law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal.
Careless and Reckless Operation of a vessel or the reckless manipulation of water skis, a surfboard, or similar device is operating in a manner that causes danger to the life, limb, or property of any person. Examples of illegal, reckless operation are:
- Boating in restricted areas without regard for other boaters or persons, posted speeds and wake restrictions, diver-down flags, etc.
- Boating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to follow the navigation rules
- Weaving through congested waterway traffic
- Swerving at the last possible moment in order to avoid collision
- Causing danger or damage from the wake of your vessel
- Chasing, harassing, or disturbing wildlife with your vessel