In Vermont, it is illegal to transport zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha), quagga mussels (Dreissena bugensis), all or part of an aquatic plant, or any other specified aquatic nuisance species on the outside of a vehicle, boat, PWC, trailer, or other equipment. A law enforcement officer is not required to identify the specific aquatic nuisance species before citing you for violating the law.
To prevent spreading aquatic nuisance species:
- Inspect your vessel and trailer, and remove any plants and animals you see before leaving the area.
- Drain your motor, live well, and bilge on land before leaving the area.
- Empty your bait bucket on land. Never release live bait into a body of water or release aquatic animals from one body of water into another.
- Rinse your vessel, propeller, trailer, and equipment.
- Air-dry your vessel and equipment for as long as possible.