Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner tubes, or any similar devices have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- All persons being towed behind a vessel on water skis or any other device must wear a USCG–approved PFD.
- It is illegal for a vessel to tow a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or any other device unless:
- A person, in addition to the vessel operator, is on board observing the towed person(s) continuously or…
- The vessel has a wide-angle mirror.
- Vessels towing person(s) must display an orange skier-down flag whenever the towed person(s) is in the water preparing to be towed or waiting to be picked up by the towing vessel. The flag must be visible in all directions.