What You've Learned
You’ve completed the material of Unit 5 of the online boating safety course!
You should now:
- Understand how to practice risk management while boating.
- Understand the effects of boating stressors.
- Understand how dehydration occurs and how to recognize and prevent it.
- Understand the increased effects of alcohol on the water.
- Be able to properly size a PFD for a wearer and check a PFD’s condition.
- Be able to take the proper safety actions if a boat capsizes, is swamped, or runs aground.
- Know how to avoid collisions.
- Be able to respond properly to a fire emergency.
- Be able to prevent and respond properly to cold water immersion.
- Know how to prevent and be able to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Be able to obtain weather forecasts, recognize weather warnings, and know what to do if caught in severe weather.