Specific PFD Requirements
Wyoming law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved wearable PFD for each person on board.
- In addition to the above requirements for PFDs, one USCG–approved throwable device must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer.
- All children 12 years of age and under must wear a USCG–approved PFD at all times while underway unless the child is riding in an enclosed cabin.
- If a person chooses to wear a PFD that is not USCG approved (when not specifically required), a properly fitting USCG–approved PFD must be carried on board the vessel to meet the state and federal carriage requirements.
- Each person on board a personal watercraft (PWC) must wear a USCG–approved PFD.
- Each person being towed behind a vessel must wear a USCG–approved PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.