The procedure for transferring ownership of a vessel is outlined here.
- The steps are essentially the same whether the “seller” is a marine dealer or the “buyer” is an individual purchasing a pre-owned vessel from an individual “seller.”
- If a registered vessel is sold or otherwise transferred to another person:
- The “buyer” must apply for the Certificate of Number to be transferred to his or her name within 30 days from the date of purchase.
- The buyer of a new vessel or outboard motor must apply for new registration and titling within 30 days.
- The DOR or an authorized boat dealer may issue a temporary operating permit, valid for 30 days, to permit lawful operation of the vessel until titling and registration are complete.