The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, decaled, or otherwise affixed to the forward half of each side of the vessel, placed to be clearly legible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters.
- Number's color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen: NV 3717 ZW or NV-3717-ZW.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel toward the stern of the registration number and within six inches of and in line with the number.