Vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or any other device have specific equipment and observer requirements.
- All persons being towed behind a vessel on water skis, a surfboard, or other device must wear a USCG-approved PFD.
- Every vessel towing a person(s) on water skis, a surfboard, or other device must have on board, in addition to the vessel operator, an observer who is:
- At least 14 years of age or…
- At least 12 years of age and another passenger who is at least 18 years of age to supervise the observer.
- The observer must display an orange skier-down flag whenever the towed person(s) is in the water preparing to be towed or waiting to be picked up by the towing vessel. The flag must be 12 x 12 inches in size.
- If towing a person on water skis or other device, the vessel must be rated to carry everyone in the boat plus everyone being towed.