If you run aground, make sure no one is injured and then check for leaks.
- If the impact did not cause a leak, follow these steps to try to get loose.
- Don’t put the boat in reverse. Instead, lift the outdrive and then stop the engine.
- Shift the weight to the area farthest away from the point of impact.
- Try to shove off from the rock, bottom, or reef with a paddle or boathook.
- Check to make sure your boat is not taking on water.
- If you can’t get loose, summon help using your visual distress signals. Call for assistance using your VHF marine radio.