California law designates the following dangerous operating practices as illegal.
Improper Speed or Distance is not maintaining a proper speed and/or distance while operating a vessel. Specifically, it is illegal to operate any motorized vessel:
- At speeds that are not reasonable and prudent based on boating traffic, weather conditions, visibility, or other potential hazards (if no limits are posted, operate your vessel so that it does not endanger others and that you are able to stop your vessel safely)
- At more than “slow, no wake speed” within posted “No Wake” areas
- Such that it causes damage to a person or property with a vessel’s wake in posted “No Wake” areas
- At more than 5 miles per hour:
- Within 200 feet of swimming areas, diving platforms, passenger landings, or areas where vessels are moored
- Within 100 feet of swimmers