About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed California Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your California Boater Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In California, you must have a Certificate of Number (registration certificate), a Certificate of Ownership and registration stickers for your vessel, whether used or only moored. The only recreational vessels that do not require registration are:

  • Vessels propelled manually
  • Sailboards and other vessels 8 ft. or less in length propelled solely by sail
  • Vessels currently registered in another state and not kept in California for more than 90 consecutive days
  • Vessels documented with the United States Coast Guard
  • Foreign vessels
  • Ship’s lifeboats used solely for lifesaving purposes

Application to register a vessel may be made at any office of the Department of Motor Vehicles or by writing:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Registration Processing Units
P. O. Box 942869
Sacramento, California 94269-0001