Skip to main content

Course Outline

All motorboats and personal watercraft (PWC) are required to carry owner's or operator's liability insurance when operated on Utah waters. Motorboats equipped with engines less than 50 hp and all airboats are exempt from this requirement.

  • The minimum liability insurance required is $25,000/$50,000 bodily injury/death, $15,000 property damage, and $65,000 of combined liability coverage per incident.
  • It is illegal for the owner of a motorboat to operate or allow others to operate it unless the motorboat has the required insurance.
  • The insurance requirement does not apply to non-resident owners of motorboats on Utah waters for less than 90 days, unless liability insurance is also required in the owner's home state.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 5 of 6