Skip to main content

Course Outline

Here are some additional facts about titling and registering your vessel.

  • All vessels manufactured since 1985 and with a motor of 25 hp or greater will be titled. Titles are obtained through the Utah DMV.
  • Utah registrations expire annually, at the end of the month in which the vessel was originally registered. Renewal notices are usually mailed to the registered owner during the month of expiration.
  • If the address of the owner of a registered vessel changes, the owner must notify the Utah DMV within 15 days of the change and note the new address on the registration card.
  • If a registered vessel is abandoned, destroyed, or ownership is transferred, the registration is not valid and the owner must notify the Utah DMV within 15 days of the event.
  • If you lose or destroy your registration certificate or decals, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels, owned by U.S. citizens, may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Contact the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels must also be registered with Utah but are not required to display the bow/assigned number.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 19
  • Page 4 of 6