In addition to meeting state requirements, registering your boat provides other benefits.
- Your boat's registration number provides identification if the boat is in an accident, is overdue, or is missing. If a boat is lost or stolen, the vessel's registration number can be used to return the boat to its owner.
- A portion of the annual registration fee is dedicated to supporting local approved boating safety programs that include:
- Boater education and information
- Search-and-rescue, emergency, or accident response
- Enforcement of boating safety laws
- Waterway marking and hazard identification