Here are some additional facts about registering your vessel.
- A vessel’s registration is valid through June 30. It must be renewed beginning July 1 of each year.
- Courtesy renewal notices are no longer mailed to registered vessel owners.
- To sign up to receive email renewal reminders for a vessel, trailer, or vehicle, visit the Washington State Department of Licensing website. Click on "Get or update email reminders" under "Do More Online" at the bottom of the home page.
- The owner of a registered vessel must notify the Department of Licensing within 15 days if any of these events occur:
- The vessel is abandoned, destroyed, lost, or stolen or...
- The owner’s address changes or...
- The registration card is lost or destroyed.
- The owner of a registered vessel must notify the Department of Licensing in writing, on the appropriate form, within five business days of the date of sale or transfer of the vessel.
- Larger recreational vessels (five net tons or larger) owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1‑800‑799‑8362 for more information. Documented vessels also must be registered in Washington and display current registration decals, but the vessels are not required to display the registration number.