All boaters, unless exempt, must have a Washington Boater Education Card.
- Before operating a vessel powered by 15 horsepower or more, all boaters 12 years of age or older and born on or after January 1, 1955, must:
- Pass an approved boating safety education course or equivalency exam and…
- Obtain a Boater Education Card.
- Persons required to have a Boater Education Card must carry it on board whenever operating. Marine law enforcement officers are trained to enforce the Boater Education Card requirement and will issue a citation to boat operators who do not have their card. The fine for the first offense is $87.
- Unlike a driver’s license, which must be renewed, a Boater Education Card never expires.