The USCG classifies stand-up paddleboards as vessels. When using a stand-up paddleboard beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, certain requirements apply.
- Stand-up paddleboard users must comply with recreational boating laws and rules.
- Stand-up paddleboards must have:
- A wearable PFD for each person on board
- A sound-producing device such as a whistle
- Navigation lights when used between sunset and sunrise—this may be a flashlight or headlamp with a white light
- VDSs when used on coastal waters