Skip to main content

Course Outline

Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Washington, you must have a Washington title, current registration certificate, and current registration decals to operate or moor a vessel. Exceptions to registration and titling are:

  • Vessels that are not propelled by a motor (canoes, kayaks, etc.) and sailboats under 16 feet in length without a motor.
  • Vessels that are less than 16 feet in length and have a motor of 10 horsepower or less and are used on non-federal waters only. All motorboats of any size or horsepower that are used on waters under federal jurisdiction must be registered.
  • Properly registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country that use Washington waters for 60 days or less.
  • Unit 4 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 21
  • Page 1 of 6