Here are terms that are used in this course.
- Vessel: A ship, pleasure craft, or non-pleasure craft capable of being used as a means of transportation on water
- Pleasure Craft: A vessel that is used only for pleasure or recreational activities, such as fishing or water sports, and does not carry paid passengers
- Non-Pleasure Craft: A small commercial vessel that carries goods or passengers (people who have paid a fee to be transported), a workboat, a commercial fishing vessel, etc.
- Boat: A pleasure craft
- Power-Driven Vessel: Any vessel that is propelled by a motor or machinery
- Sailing Vessel: Any vessel that is propelled only by wind in its sails and not by a motor or machinery
- Operate: To control the speed and course of a pleasure craft
- Operator: The person in control of the speed and course of a pleasure craft
- Design Waterline: The waterline when a pleasure craft is at its maximum recommended gross load capacity