Preventing CO Poisoning While Boating
To protect yourself and others against CO poisoning while boating:
- Allow fresh air to circulate throughout the pleasure craft at all times, even during bad weather. Be especially careful to keep the following well ventilated:
- Cooking areas
- Heated cabin areas
- Areas with protective coverings
- Make sure all fuel-burning engines and appliances are certified or designed for marine use.
- Use them only in well-ventilated areas.
- Take extra care if they are running when your pleasure craft is not moving.
- Install and maintain CO detectors inside your pleasure craft. Replace batteries and detectors as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Ventilate immediately if exhaust vapours are detected on the pleasure craft.
- Know where your engine and generator exhaust outlets are located and keep everyone away from these areas because they can contain the highest concentration of carbon monoxide.
- Never sit on the back deck, “teak surf,” or hang on the swim platform while the engines are running.
- Never enter areas under swim platforms where exhaust outlets are located—even for a second. One or two breaths in this area could be fatal.