VHF marine radios are increasingly popular with boaters for good reasons.
- They save lives and are easy to use.
- They are more effective for marine communications than CB radios or cell phones. VHF radios have more consistent reception than cell phones.
- They withstand rough weather.
- Boat-mounted radios are wired to the boat’s battery.
- The source of a VHF signal can be located so that you can be found even in fog.
As required by the Radio Communications Act, all VHF marine radio operators, including those operating handheld radios, must have a Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime) [ROC(M)]. The Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons (CPS) handle all of the training and testing for Industry Canada. For more information about ROC(M) courses available in your area, contact the CPS.