Skip to main content

Course Outline

In addition to meeting the age and horsepower restrictions, operators also must meet these proof of competency requirements from the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations.

  • All persons who operate a pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board if the pleasure craft has any type of motor, including an electric trolling motor, and is used for recreational purposes. The only exception is persons operating a pleasure craft in the Northwest Territories or Nunavut.
  • Proof of competency shows that you have at least the basic level of boating knowledge that is necessary to operate a pleasure craft safely.
  • Proof of competency can be:
    • A Pleasure Craft Operator Card that you receive after passing a boating safety course approved by Transport Canada or…
    • Proof that you passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999, or…
    • A certificate from the List of Certificates approved by Transport Canada or…
    • A completed safety checklist for a rented boat—good only while the boat is rented.
Pleasure Craft Operator Card
  • Unit 3 of 6
  • Topic 2 of 13
  • Page 2 of 3