Skip to main content

Course Outline

You must have a Canadian pleasure craft licence to operate a pleasure craft powered by an engine of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more in Canada legally.

  • This includes personal watercraft and sailboats with an engine.
  • You are exempt from this requirement if your pleasure craft is registered.

If a pleasure craft has been sold or transferred to you, you are exempt from carrying the updated pleasure craft licence for up to 90 days from the day ownership of the boat was transferred to you only if:

  • The sale or transfer of ownership is underway and…
  • You have not yet received the updated pleasure craft licence and…
  • You carry the existing licence and a copy of the transfer documents on board.
  • Unit 3 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 13
  • Page 2 of 6