Skip to main content

Course Outline

The Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations require pleasure craft to be able to retain oily mixtures on board.

  • You are not allowed to discharge oil, oil waste, or hazardous substances (including toxic cleaning products) into Canadian waters.
  • You must dispose of waste at an approved reception facility.
    • On pleasure craft, a bucket or bailer is adequate for temporary storage prior to disposing of the oil waste at an approved facility.
    • Fuel, oil, antifreeze, and transmission fluid spills on board a pleasure craft can be removed using absorbent bilge cloths.
  • If your pleasure craft discharges oil or hazardous substances in the water, you must immediately notify a Canadian pollution prevention officer or call one of the telephone numbers listed below. Report your pleasure craft’s identification information; the time and location of the discharge; the nature of the discharge, including the type and amount of the pollutant; and what you did to try to clean up the discharge.

Who to Call in Case of Discharge

If your pleasure craft discharges oil or hazardous substances into the water, call:

Alberta, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Ontario, and Saskatchewan
British Columbia and Yukon
Labrador and Newfoundland
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island
  • Unit 3 of 6
  • Topic 9 of 13
  • Page 5 of 5