Which Boats Require Registration?
In Canada, the Small Vessel Regulations state that you must register your boat if:
- It is not a pleasure craft and…
- It is wholly owned by qualified persons and…
- It is not registered, listed, or otherwise recorded in a foreign country or state.
If you are a qualified person and own a pleasure craft, you do not have to register your craft but you may do so on a voluntary basis.
Registering a pleasure craft provides several benefits.
- You have proof of ownership (legal title) of the pleasure craft. Having this proof can be very beneficial at international borders.
- Registered pleasure craft are allowed to fly the Canadian flag.
- Your pleasure craft has a unique name and an official number.
For information on registering your boat, visit the Transport Canada website.