Fishing is the most popular activity among boaters.
- Anglers using vessels can be at risk. Unfortunately, anglers capsizing or falling overboard are common fatal boating accidents.
- Anglers who use vessels to fish need to think of themselves first as vessel operators. If you fish and boat, you should:
- Know and follow all safe boating laws and requirements.
- Pay attention to the capacity plate and not overload your vessel.
- Wear a PFD especially when the water is cold or when fishing alone or in remote areas. (A wearable PFD is required in most competitive fishing tournaments.)
- Recycle or toss used fishing line into receptacles on shore and not into the water or onto shorelines. Fishing line is not biodegradable and is dangerous to wildlife and propellers.
- Take care of your fishing boat just like you do your fishing equipment.