Reporting an Accident
The operator of a vessel, or each person on board, must report a boating accident without delay, and by the quickest means available, to the nearest conservation officer, sheriff of the county, or nearest state police post when:
- A person dies or...
- A person disappears from a vessel.
The operator or the owner of a vessel involved in a boating accident must file an accident report form supplied by the Michigan DNR.
- The form must be filed within 48 hours if:
- A person dies within 24 hours of the occurrence or...
- A person loses consciousness, receives medical treatment, or is disabled for more than 24 hours.
- The form must be filed within five days if:
- Damage to the vessel and other property damage totals more than $2,000 or...
- A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury.