Michigan law designates the following dangerous operating practices as illegal.
Improper Distance is not maintaining a proper distance while operating a vessel or towing a person. To maintain a proper distance when you are operating at greater than “slow, no wake speed” (except in channels that are not posted), the vessel or persons being towed must not be within 100 feet of:
- A shoreline (if operating in water less than three feet deep)
- Any moored or anchored vessel
- A dock or raft
- Any marked swimming area or person(s) in the water
Improper Distance for PWC means that, if operating at greater than “slow, no wake speed,” PWC also must:
- Stay at least 200 feet from any Great Lakes shoreline.
- Not cross within 150 feet behind another vessel other than another PWC.