The following are requirements for boat operators on Michigan waters.
- Those less than 12 years of age:
- May operate a boat powered by a motor of no more than 6 horsepower (hp) legally without restrictions.
- May operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 6 hp but no more than 35 hp legally only if they:
- Have been issued a boating safety certificate and have it on board the boat and…
- Are directly supervised on board by a person at least 16 years of age.
- May not operate a boat powered by a motor of more than 35 hp legally under any conditions.
- Those born on or after July 1, 1996, may not operate a motorboat that is powered by a motor or motors totaling more than 6 horsepower on the waters of this state unless the person has been issued a boating safety certificate.
- Those born before July 1, 1996, may operate a boat legally without restrictions.