Place the canoe in the water parallel to the dock.
- With one paddler:
- Squat down on the dock beside the boat.
- Hold onto the gunwale on both sides, and lean out to shift your weight over the boat’s centerline. Be careful not to push the boat away from the dock.
- Place one foot in the boat on the centerline, and kneel down to keep a low center of gravity.
- Move the other foot into the boat.
- Note: For extra stability, place your paddle straight across the gunwales and hold onto the paddle as you board.
- With two paddlers:
- The paddlers board the boat one at a time.
- Each paddler steadies the boat while the other one boards.