Selecting Appropriate Footwear
Do not go barefoot. You often need to carry your boat over rough terrain. Ankle sprains and cuts to the bottoms of the feet are among the most common types of injuries for paddlers.
- Select footwear that does not hinder your swimming and does not fall off too easily if you capsize.
- Wear thick soles to provide protection if you have to walk over branches or sharp rocks.
- Never underestimate the value of dry feet. Consider:
- Bootees made of wetsuit material or rubber boots
- Footwear that lets your feet dry quickly after they get wet, such as various types of sandals
- Neoprene socks or water shoes