Although trailers are available, most canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards are transported to waterways on a carrier rack mounted on the top of a vehicle. To prevent accidents and property damage, the vehicle’s driver is responsible for ensuring that the carrier rack and the paddlecraft are secured properly.
- Choose a carrier rack designed for a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard.
- If your vehicle has a luggage rack on top, select a carrier rack that can be attached to the luggage rack.
- Do not use the luggage rack that came with the vehicle without attaching a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard carrier rack to it. A luggage rack is not designed to hold the boat or board properly and may allow it to shift during transport, which could damage the boat.
- Be sure the rack is strong enough to support the weight of the boat or board safely.
- Attach the rack securely to the top of the vehicle.