Sitting exposed in the sun increases your body heat. Regardless of the air temperature, strenuous paddling also causes your body to lose water through respiration and perspiration. This will cause dehydration if fluids are not replaced.
- Drink plenty of water. A good rule of thumb is to drink some water every 15–20 minutes. However, gulping down too much water too quickly can cause serious problems, even fatalities. To avoid water intoxication, drink only enough to satisfy your thirst.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Try not to paddle during the hottest part of the day.
- Look for shaded areas while you paddle.
Recognizing the Symptoms of Dehydration
- Excessive thirst
- Dry mouth
- Drink plenty of water and/or sports drinks.
- Get out of the sun and rest.
- Seek medical attention for serious dehydration.