When possible, avoid situations that might make you fall. For example, if a motorboat that is creating a wake is heading toward you:
- Kneel on your paddleboard and…
- Remain kneeling until the water is calm again.
If you do lose your balance while standing:
- Brace yourself with your paddle to regain your balance or…
- Fall to the side of the paddleboard so that you land in the water and not on the board. This will avoid:
- Hitting your elbow or chin on the board
- Having your board shoot away from you and possibly hitting someone else