To help prevent and prepare for capsizing, swamping, or falling overboard:
- Ask everyone in the paddlecraft to wear a life jacket at all times.
- Don’t overload your paddlecraft.
- Balance the weight of all passengers and gear. Keep most of the weight low.
- In a boat, keep your body centered with your center of gravity low.
- Don’t allow people to stand up or move around while underway. If you must move, keep three points of contact with your hands and feet.
- Don’t go out in rough water or bad weather.