Prepare the paddlecraft
- Keep enough speed to maintain headway and steering. Don’t stop and just sit still or float along with the current.
- Secure any unnecessary gear.
- If there is lightning, stay clear of metal objects.
- In a kayak:
- Close any open hatches.
- If you have a bilge pump, be prepared to start it if rain water builds up in the boat.
- If you have a spray skirt, be sure it is secure to keep water out of the boat’s interior.
Prepare yourself and others
- Make sure everyone is wearing a properly secured, USCG–approved life jacket.
- Have everyone stay low and close to the centerline of the paddlecraft.