To take along an outboard motor for your canoe, you can put the motor in the trunk or back of your vehicle.
If you attach an optional motor to a canoe before you leave home, you cannot transport the canoe on a cartop carrier rack. Instead, you will need to trailer your boat.
- Choose the right trailer and vehicle to tow your boat. The trailer and towing vehicle should be designed to fit your boat.
- The towing hitch must be appropriate for the loaded trailer.
- Two strong safety chains should be crisscrossed to support the trailer’s coupler if it becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle.
- Before leaving home, secure the boat on the trailer and the gear within the boat.
- On the road, drive cautiously and allow for the added length and width of the trailer.